2009-08-30

Saturday

I don't do house-visits. Never have. Only one till last Saturday being 3 years in the profession. It ain't practical being a dentist doing house visits cos working away from clinic is impossible. Or blame our inflated egos. The first and last time I went was to a lady with a toothache and a fractured leg. One instantly feels the plight entering the home and the least one can do is provide a fix, albeit a temporary one. I gave her medicines. Never heard from her, which in my line of work is more often than not a good sign. That was six months back

Saturdays are usually the laziest days, not much work happening generally me alone in the clinic and my boss not around. This Saturday was different, my boss was around which means splitting the work load. He left around his usual time. I decided to stay on for 15 mins. A lady, his patient came and realised he had just left. I generally don't pay attention till the patient enters the operatory which was why i was stunned when the lady asked me if i could see her daughter at her house because she could not make it to the clinic .

The urge to say no was incredible. It was a Saturday. My day almost over. Hungry. Tired.
However, one look at the lady and very difficult to refuse. It was only 5 minutes away anyways.

Reached her place, the door ajar, her not being able to open it.. the Mother calling inside asking someone to move which after a few times bore result. What awaited me was something i will never forget. A small little girl about 7 maybe on the floor unable to move.

It was a just a room with a bed occupying one third the kitchen the other third and the girl on the ground. Paraplegic. Mentally retarded. That was my patient. And the only coherent word she could utter was 'aai'. Never have heard it being said so sweetly and never has it caused so much anguish.

We managed to get her on the bed and tricked her into letting me examine her. I was shocked to know she was 17. Throughout she kept grunting and kept calling for her mother. I cannot help but remember how fortunate I was to be able, physically and mentally.

It is also amazing how people at times with so little to offer can make one feel so special. A simple act of asking me 'chai' when this lady is surrounded by a Whirlpool was enough for me. In a room full of problems she made me feel big when i was juts doing my job. Compared to people with so much more and very little heart.

As I watch Bipasha Basu talk about her parent's love for her i wonder how do u place the mother's love for her child i just saw. The grit, the dignity with which she manages her affairs is amazing. Makes me question what the kid did to deserve a life as such. Or the parents loving their child so much. All the talk of karma and stuff fades when i saw them leading their lives. Fighting more for it.

We all do stuff for our parents. Being able to do something for my parents, give something back , is one of the biggest achievements for me. However whatever i do will never be a drop in the ocean for what they have done. I still wonder what keeps that mother going. I don't even know if she does get loved back in return. Ain't that what keeps us going. Being loved and cared for by the people around us.

Most of us are fortunate to be loved and know that we are being loved and more importantly give love back. At the same time families like Amruta's exist being less so fortunate and fighting the same battle as we do with much more grit and compassion. Selfless love.

As I walked away from her place the lump in my throat slowly disappeared with respect for them. Faith reposed. Teaching me that the fight is always on. Beaten to a pulp, battered not giving up. She is fighting her battles.

I have mine. Along the way. Will never lose the lesson.

0 Comments: