2009-01-05

The Value of a Rupee

I find it very intriguing to figure out the value of money.

I remember the time I lost 20 bucks as kid.. the worst day of my life.. I sat fretting the whole evening wondering where I went wrong..miserable that I lost such a big amount. Today if I lost 20 bucks how much would I be worried..I might be abit..but not enought o spend my evening wondering about it... So what has changed... the Rs.20 note has not.. it still retains the same value if u discount the inflation... then what defines the value of a single rupee the 'ek rupaiyya'

For someone with 100 with him it may not mean much, for someone who has 10 it may indeed mean much. Try and imagine the scenario for someone who has only 1. It may mean all.

Even worse is the situation for someone who has none.The aspiration to attain a rupee at the end of a days labor cant amount to much ambition, sadly every kid that hankers after you on the road signal putting himself in between umpteen vehicles, hankering after you to a point of embarrassment; precisely wnats that for his labor..'ek rupaiyya'.. five wont hurt.. but 'ek' will make him happy.till he embarks on his travails again.

So does the value of a rupee depend on what we already have amassed.. or does it depend again on what we intend to amass.. and in the whole process the sum amount of a single rupee never changes..

Funny how a single rupee can exert such a varied influence over people and influence their lives for better for worse... what causes this difference. Tomorow if I disregard the power that money holds over me would i be able to survive. Or maybe it is the other way round.. maybe I have to turn around and exert my influence over the 'ek rupaiyya'. then maybe I might be able to go out and not worry.

Does it not mean then that the fact I own my ' ek rupaiyya'. does it not then become my resposibility that for every ' rupaiyya' I control I weaken its influence, its hold, over the life of a being. The sad fact is everytime I own a 'rupaiyya' far from controlling it or use it to liberate one, I enslaven myself numbing me to the hurtful calls that ring around me ..further try and conquer another one forgetting the true purpose in the pursuit.

Why do i paint such a grim scenario. The situation is grim. Or i comprehend it to be so. A man got murdered for Rs.40 in Guwahati. Is that the value of a rupee.. someone's life. I mean to kill someone for 40 bucks is outrageous.

Then again for some maybe Rs. 40 is all they have and maybe more than life in itself. Who am i judge. I myself lost Rs. 20 and countless other things along the way.. Hope fully my 20 bucks found the right way..

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.